Tuesday 12 February 2008

08.Nuqeib

I have just written a memoir of my involvement in the IDF action at Nuqeib 46 years ago - a sort of in-vivo obituary. It has been accepted by Judy's synagogue magazine for their issue just before Indepedence Day. So in keeping best journalistic tradition, I'll keep it embargoed until then. On Google, there are several entries about Nuqeib, written by rabid Moslem fanatics in a very long list of 'Jewish atrocities' since 'Zionists' invaded their 'God-given' property, Falastin.
I had submitted my article for advice to the Israel Embassy press office. They assured me that they do not censor such items, provided they do not contain classified information. Well, after 46 years and all the military actions since, we agreed that it was not a classified secret any longer.
But I had never known the actual number of our casualties. Could the press office help? - I was told that this would be very complicated, and might not be revealed.
When I planned my article
recently, I had tried another avenue. I wrote to Dr Eliahu Gillon who, as IDF Chief Medical Officer at the time, had been my immediate superior. We had a mutual friend and I knew that Dr Gillon was alive and well. Alas, he never replied. Possibly, the records of the medical corps were not easily accessible to him. And people do not like to give negative replies. He owed me no favours and, in Israel, writing letters is often regarded as a chore. They like phoning...
Being fond of devious actions, I finally devised a cunning plan. I phoned a relative in Israel. She is a nurse and was still on the staff at the hospital, to which all the casualties from the Nuqeib action had been admitted on that single night.
She is a very friendly and experienced person, and she was obviously able to get the archive staff of the
hospital to do some quite unusual voluntary work for her. They found the admission records for that date - and I was given the missing facts for my article.
Watch this space!

No comments: